Monday, November 12, 2007

Diwali Musings

It was 11:30 pm on Thursday night, when I was at a popular Houston hangout Taco Milagro,
watching some salsa dancers show their talent, when a desi guy who was walking past me,
smiled, patted my back and said "Happy Diwali!". Managing to hide my surprise, I returned his thoughful greeting, and continued to smile reflecting at the possible inappropriateness of the whole situation. As we stood outside the crowded bar and talked about the cigar bar nextdoor, I suddenly felt a tinge of sadness at not being in India at this festive moment.

Growing up, Diwali was definitely the most celebrated and anticipated festival. Schools in Mumbai would typically shower us with a generous 15 day break to celebrate this colorful festival. As a kid, I remember building the famous killas (forts of mud and stone), and decking them with small idols of Shivaji and the Peshwas - only to be blow them on the day of Diwali with some powerful crackers. Bursting fire-crackers and other pyrotechnics asscociated with it were definitely the high point as a kid. Rockets would defitely be the most sought after fire-works, and I would take special pride on a successful trajectory launched from the terrace of our home. Despite reprimands from others, I also got to show my manliness by igniting a bomb in the hand and throwing it such that it would tear apart midway.

But the highlight of the festival was meeting up with all the relatives and the great feast of sweets that would ensue. Almost all Diwali, was spent in the company of grandparents, uncles and aunts. I remember getting up really early in the morning, taking bath, and touching the feet of my grandparents who would shower their blessings and hand over the new clothes. Most of the morning would be spent greeting all friends and relatives either in person or on the phone, and after a round of fireworks we would return to a really sumptuous breakfast. This would further be followed by visits to all relatives and a grand lunch and some more family time. Everyone that I would visit or pass by on the street would seem merry. It was just one of those happy times of the year, when every one is in a good mood.

.... just like most festivities in this country, Diwali was also celebrated on the weekend, albeit missing much of the fan-fare. Fortunately, some of my kind friends had invited me for lunch - a real delicious one, cooked by her parents. Thanks to a round of tennis, I was able to digest the late lunch and whet my appetite just in time for another round of drinks and food at my aunt's party. I ended up meeting a whole bunch of strangers in a social setting that day, but everybody was cheerful and real nice. An impromptu decision to do Desi buffet for lunch on thursday, was followed by another round of the same on Friday, thanks to my Boss' participation. Hell, to celebrate the festival of lights, my boss even jokingly gifted us flashlights with our company logo on it!!

When I was in India, I would be amazed to see that some people were actually working on the eve of the festival. Typically on my small errands I would notice that the milkman, bus-conductors, taxi-drivers and many other in service would continue to work just like any other day. At such moments, I would feel a deep sense of pity and would sympathise with their plight for their inability to stay home and enjoy it with their family and friends. As I sat at my desk on thursday morning, sorting out Win-Loss data for our product in the last 3 quarters, I felt the same wave of sympathy for myself......

2 comments:

Susu said...

Mine was equally pathetic, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I know its definitely not a train but more like a Diwali Diya next year back in jog falls:)

Point 5 said...

@Susu...I am sure Jog Falls will get a good reversal of fortune