Monday, January 26, 2009

Food & Energy

I am going to pick up where I left off in the last post and throw some more food for thought from Michael Pollan's book. I have always maintained that Conserving Energy requires a more holistic approach as it is more than just the mpg of your vehicle. However, I never imagined the strong link between food industry and energy. Here are two ways by which you can conserve fossil fuels and do your bit to prevent Global Warming.

Try Vegetarianism

Every step in food chain involves inefficiency and the higher you eat on the food chain more inefficient is the process. For example, in today's industrialized world it takes a cow about 7-8 pounds of corn fat to produce 1 pound of fat. The meat industry's energy efficiency is further degraded by elaborate but essential processes like packing, freezing and transportation. Here is a detailed analysis of food energy by my friend - Transmogrifier. So am I suggesting everyone to become vegetarian? No. We probably don't have enough arable land to sustain a world full of Vegetarians. Besides, I am sure many cannot even think of a vegetarian gastronomic feast comparable to a medium rare centre cut filet mignon or southern style barbecued pork ribs.

However, would it be too much to ask to give up 1 meat meal a week? I have decided that from now on (call it my 2009 resolution), atleast once a week whenever I go out to eat, I'll choose a vegetarian option over meat. Its not a drastic change to my lifestyle, but even if everyone were to implement such a small change it would save thousands of barrels of oil annually and reduce greenhouse gas emissions significantly. For those of you who think this small change is unacceptable, I would say its OK, but can you atleast make an effort to minimize the amount of meat you waste. Remember every ounce of meat wasted is like wasting 8 ounces of equivalent grain or cereal!

Eat Seasonal

When I was a kid, I remember my family would gather in the living room after dinner and my father would cut a certain fruit and serve each of us. In the summer, he would give us mangoes, in autumn grapes, in winter apples. Life was simple, you ate whatever was available in that season. I never craved for mangoes in winter nor did I crave for apples in summer. I contrast this to my present day situation where irrespective of which season I walk into the supermarket I can still get my favorite fruit. In some ways its a triumph of globalization that even in winter you can find asparagus (grown in Argentina where its summer) or Pineapples from Hawaii available in the supermarket. But as you would imagine, all these unseasonal non-local items leave behind a huge trail of fossil fuel consumption. Using the same argument as in the previous section, If we can all educate ourselves a little and try to reduce consumption of non-seasonal items by only 10% it can have a great impact on our carbon footprint.

If we can live with and accept snow in winter, fall colors in fall, and rain in monsoon would it kill us to shun asparagus on one winter meal or red meat on one hot summer day. I believe that more often than not people waste energy out of ignorance and not out of necessity. A little energy education will allow us all to continue with our lifestyles without making drastic compromises in the future.

I don't want to sound preachy, but if you liked this rant please forward it to your friends. In return, the Lord shall bestow you with some carbon credits :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that last line was tooo funny. Nice one as always!! especially cause I am a veggie :))

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to drivin' a big ol' American V8, eatin' at Del Frisco's and rakin' in some oil dollars if you can?

what's wrong with this country these days!!!

I say: gimme more oil, more oil jobs, more oil jobs that depend on oil jobs.........you get the picture.

Tell me, how's Houston holdin' up..........the "green reality" is not so welcome after all, now is it? Now that the petro dollar pipeline is not gushin' oh-so-strong?

Your Global Warming (read: bogus theory) posts seem to toe the same line as your posts on oil (Hubbert's Peak anyone?). I could probably debate any point you make regarding Global Warming, fact-for-fact, but that's for another day and time.........

You are like one of those French truffle pigs that will go out in a forest and scout for truffles.....the way you search for stuff to latch on to regarding only one side of this debate....you have a scientific background, can you safely say Global Warming is a scientifically (empirically?) proven theory????

And if the Gas and Oil Party indirectly affords you the pleasure of filet mignon, then i say more power to the GOP !!!

And i am proud to report that due to about a year of regular weekend round trips by jet, my carbon footprint is getting larger by the week.

Now, go and shop for some exotic foods goddammit! Don't be stingy and run this economy into the ground :)

And by the way, as always, none of what i write is directed personally at you or anyone else.......peace.

-- R.S.

Point 5 said...

@Ramya....Thanks..Veggies like you allow people like me eat more meat :)

@RS...I don't have enuf space to reply to all the questions u raise..but here are some big issues
1) Driving V8s
Have you forgotten how the Big3 went begging to Washington last month? Don't tell me that this was not cause by the size/ number of their engines. Well, this is just a symptom of a bigger malaise. With higher energy prices, its not difficult to imagine a situation where the entire country crumbles down to a position very similar to the Big3. Remember, India, China and Europe don't drink 25% of world's oil and hence they will never suffer as much as US with energy crisis.

2) Houston & Oil
Yes, Houston runs on oil. Infact my company, and my personal bonus/ stocks run on price of crude too. But the "Green reality" is inevitable, and even the big oil like Shell, Chevron, XOM have finally accepted it. Just go to the homepage of all three companies and see what is the first thing that catches your eye. Its only words like "Clean", "Green" & "Renewable".

3) Global Warming
I am pretty open on this issue and I am sure this is debatable. But even the Bush (GOP you so fondly refer to) finally accepted it. Again, I don't propose drastic measures like everyone driving a hybrid or living in a solar house.
Little Energy education and common sense can completely avert such an extreme scenario. I am afraid both are completely lacking from our society today.

As with your comment, nothing personal here too, definitely enjoy a healthy debate :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, but the question you gotta ask yourself is this: does every energy reform that makes sense at $150 oil, still make sense at $30 oil?

If it ain't profitable, it ain't gonna happen in the USA. PR and the earth be damned......

At least that's what i think........i may be surprised down the road.

-- R.S.

Point 5 said...

@RS..you are right about the economics of price of crude..but let me tell you that $30 is only temporary...although $150 was highly speculative, in a booming economy $100 is pretty reasonable...
6% of World's population (US), consumes 25% of world's resources...when the rest of world starts developing (China and India for example), the world will soon realize that there is not enuf energy to sustain everyone...

David Reilly (CEO Chevron) has an amazing interview on Stanford GSB website, where he talks about this problem and why Chevron as a company is advertising people to save energy and less oil!!! (Remember this comes from a company which makes profit selling oil)

Anonymous said...

hey thanks for the link....
But, there is talk of an anti-Hubbert's peak, if you will.........that DEMAND may have peaked too (!!).....

-- R.S.