Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008

The 2008 new year was wrung in with an unshaven beard and a severe hangover from my best vacation ever - my trip to Costa Rica. However, like most of my new years, this one too was a very low key affair. In the first month of 2008, I got an interesting fortune cookie at a regular Thai lunch haunt.

'Travelling will bring new perspectives to your life this year'

A big proponent of the above theory, I could not agree with it more. I liked this fortune so much, I saved it in my wallet for a whole year. 2008 was a good mix of both personal and business travel. Earlier this year, I got a chance to travel to Portland and get a flair for the northwestern hippie culture. The biggest learning experience this year was my trip to Korea where I finally got a chance to see the Far East. Apart from work, I did a fair bit of leisure travel too. I finally got a chance to visit my dreamland - Alaska, but looking back, it still feels surreal that I was actually there. I hope to revisit it multiple times to learn more about this elusive land. Then, there was an eye opening trip through the great plains of South Dakota. However, my favorite trips were the 5 times that I got to visit Los Angeles on business. But flight was not the only travel mode. There were numerous road trips around Houston, most of them to my current second favorite city in the US - Austin.

Sometimes traveling was hectic, but most times it was fun and I have always come back learning something new. I think every trip teaches you not only about the new place and people but also teaches you about yourself. While work trips enhanced my professional experience and taught me about different work practices, my leisure trips helped me bond better with my close friends. For what its worth, all the travel finally got me Gold Elite status from Continental. This gives me more ammunition to act smug amidst my less traveled friends :)

I typed the above two paragraphs while in transit at Frankfurt airport, which by the way is definitely one of the worst airports I have seen. On my second leg of the journey from Frankfurt to Mumbai, my co-traveller was a lady from Lisbon on a 2 month trip to Goa and Southern India. As we shared similar passion for travel, we immediately hit up a lenghty conversation on various travel destinations and experiences. But travel discussions often lead to further cultural and political conversations. For instance our discussions ranged from corruption in Nigeria to the Pakistani troops build up at our border. We also pondered on interesting issues like how Mexico City can sustain a population of 20 million despite being situated at 5,800 ft above seal level. More often than not, travel always provides me the best ice-breaker and a good topic of conversation. These discussions normally make all the involved parties wiser and more aware of the world around us. I always revere well traveled people for their experience and knowledge.

But 2009 is set to begin in a much more anxious note. Amidst an uncertain future, and probably some rough times ahead, rescue comes in the form of another apt fortune cookie prophesy which I found in my dinner couple of weeks ago.

'You will be transforming a situation in your life now with a positive attitude'

This fortune has replaced the 2008 traveling prediction and probably will accompany me for the rest of the year. I guess traveling can wait a bit, I need to muster up positive attitude to handle the situations I envision coming my way shortly.

2 comments:

Subash said...

you lucky bastard.. I effing hate you.

Why 2009 is starting on a "much more anxious note"?

Also, 2008 new year was "wrung in".. hello??

Happy new year anyways.. hope you share your frequent flier miles with your friends this year (ahem!).

Point 5 said...

@Subash...Unforunately frequent flier miles are not up for grabs..
Wish you Happy New Year...