Sunday, March 02, 2008

Silver Elite

"M'am can you take my coat please?"
"Sure, sir, and would you like something to drink?"
"Yeah, can I get a red wine, please?"
"There you go sir....."
"Thanks"

As I sipped my red wine, I smirked at other frustrated economy class passengers making their way past me, bustling to find the much coveted overhead cabin space and the rights to rule their neighbours arm-rests. As I soaked in my cabernet, I mockingly muttered to myself, "If only you guys had worked a little harder". Arrogance had finally arrived, it was probably fleeting....but I was loving every minute of it!

Till about last year, I had never flown First Class in any airlines. However, 2008 has started out with a big surprise, as I have now flown 4 out of my last 5 legs in that luxury cabin at the front of the aeroplane. This reversal of fortune is the fruit of my year long allegiance with Continental Airlines, which earned me the Silver Elite status through Feb 2009. Prior to moving to Houston, I lived in Los Angeles, which due to its location never served as a major airline hub. This resulted in me earning miles on 4 different accounts and never reaching a point where I could rake up enough miles in a year to reach the elite status. However, the city of Houston is serviced almost entirely by Continental, and courtesy my trips to Asia and Europe last year, I finally clocked enough miles to get inducted into the elite club.

As an economy coach traveller, the curtain between the coach and the First Class cabin always reminded me of the heirarchy in the society. There is a whole world of difference in the 2 classes. I get my first cocktail even before the flight leaves the gate. For meal, I get white linen spread on my table and get silverware, not some cheap plasticware! Infact on the flight back from Costa Rica, the first class actually served Steak for dinner and Sundaes for dessert! The rest-room is always empty, and I dont have to wade throught the aisle with 1000 prying eyes resting on me. There are no crying toddlers or garralous war veterans annoying me. There are tired business travellers who either work hard or sleep hard and respect your privacy.

However the best part of the Elite Status, is the feeling that you are better than others. On second thoughts, it is not the feeling, its the fact that you are better than others. While others snake through a mile long queue to get through security, I step on a blue carpet welcoming me and breeze through it. Even while boarding, as soon as those nasty toddlers board the planes, I get to board and use up as much of the overhead cabin space as I decided to consume. It gives a great sense of importance to board, when 95% of the passengers are still getting fidgety in their seat looking at you enviously before they get their chance to board. I also relish at the prospect of the sadistic pleasure of watching your friends haul past you into their crampy economy coach, while you esconce yourself in the comforts of your huge seat.

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be able to go back and adapt myself to Economy coach anymore?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

better or luckier??

Anonymous said...

better or better off?

Anonymous said...

let me catch you in the waiting area, i will smack that smirk off your face :-)

hah........now if i could only get 6 grand to buy a business class trip to india......sigh.....

-- R.S.

Point 5 said...

@Anon1 - Better ofcourse...what does luck mean?

@Anon2 - (Assuming Anon2 and Anon1 are the same) Better off!!

@R.S - Its hard to get business class on international cos they are filled with CEOs and CFO's...but domestic is not that tough..I am sure you have a good American Airlines program going for you..

totti said...

@#&(*&(&

hello said...

Lucky you.I envy you:)

Point 5 said...

@Totti ..$#%#$% !#$$@@ #$$$!@@#!

@Likhitha...As I have established in my comments above...its not luck :))

Rohan Kumar said...

Very weird post I kept reading through it hoping it would have a punchline in the end kinda somewhat like the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry flies first class but it just seemed just like a smug post

Point 5 said...

@Rohan...I am glad u .Respect my Authoritaah! ..the only purpose of the post to relieve the pent up smugness!!

Unknown said...

major maaz..
saala, sirf 4 legs travel kiya first class mein, aur bolta hai "if I will ever be able to go back to Economy coach".. aise baat kar raha hain jaise paida hi first class me hua tha :)

Point 5 said...

@Hrishi..As Sienfield would put it "If you have not travelled first class, you dont know what u r missing"

ss said...

Dude, thy have travelled first class too, silverware is definitely nice, but more than that its those big comfy seats and finally some leg followed by ankle feet and toe room.. besides that pretty smug post, hence my smug comment.. although gazillion miles travlled deserves smugness

Point 5 said...

@SS....The leg room is definitely a great thing to have...especially on red-eye flights..

Unknown said...

hi dude
good to see that pride is still the one quality u can boast about and modesty is far off from u as possible
now speaking from someone who has flown first from india to london....have fun while it lasts....anyways...domestic first is nothing compared to international first...so...as u are so fond of saying " yeh tho kuch bhi nahin hain!!"

and i also look fwd to meeting u at the airport in a few months when my bothersome baby and myself get to board before u do.....

the rest i shall save for u in person...
UR ETERNAL HOSTESS...
or maybe i should say u can count one home out of ur circuit in LA in future!!

Point 5 said...

@Aparna...Modesty? What is that...Btw, I have flown international first, although it was a small leg from Costa Rica..

Pls do come to Houston...u r still my Plan A for the trip :)

Unknown said...

How many phone numbers that matter or materialized did you score in your elitist cabin??