Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Discombobulated Mind!

The Natural Order
"Water, No Ice!"
Memorial Drive
ROMM - The Hypocrite
Empty Calories - Beverages!
GOOG

....these are 6 blog titles that lay one below the other on my notepad. On some I have written a paragraph or two, on others there is merely an exclamation mark or apostrophe. Concrete ideas hatched during daily chores have somehow completely eluded me, as I sit down to elaborate on them. Its a shame! Well conceived ideas have been dealt a cruel blow, courtesy a disfunctional, utterly distracted cranium. As soon as I string together a nice train of thought, it seems to be derailed by a myraid of parellel corruptive opinions.

Is it ADD ? Is it just me or is it the Technology ? As I reflect back nostalgically, to a time when I was in high school being capable of sitting 2 hours or more non-stop poring over my science text-books, I wonder whats gone wrong? Is it just an inefficient aging process undergone by all and sundry or is it the ushering of new age of technology and distraction? Looking back at those high school days, there was no internet, the cable had 2 channels and both of them showed mundane melodrama of ladies clashing with their in-laws. Even the news would focus on pertinent, but boring, issues like a visiting foreign dignitary than something sleazy like the "accidental" slip of Janet Jackson' bra during the Super-Bowl. With minimal intervention of technology, things were tranquil. There were less things to entertain you, but at the same time there were less things to distract you. At most times the mind was innocent, yet pure and fertile!

With the ushering of the "knowledge" era, information is at our finger-tips. Most would claim that this has definitely empowered us with a tool hitherto lacking, and thus via multitasking abilities, increased our productivity. You no longer stop for directions cause your GPS tells you when to turn, you can keep in touch with your unlce 10,000 miles away via email or you can check the weather in Hawaii a month from now to plan your ideal vacation. An explosion in multimedia over the past decade has completely transformed the way we congregate and then digest information. It has fostered an unprecedented sense of awareness and enable execution of ideas previously dubbed purely theoretical. Under this pretext anyone taking as much as a distant potshot at this progress would be baptized a heretic.

....but that is not the point of the post. What I am clamoring, unsuccessfully, to portray is the loss of human power to concentrate and fixate on one idea. Devoid of this cursory distractions, the human mind is sharper and more perceptive. Hence if I think of something which is purely devoid of technology, like say reading 50 pages of a book, I bet I would have done that faster a decade ago. However there are pitfalls into buying into this arguement, as it soon presents a problem of recursive nature. For eg, technology has continually evolved for centuries, and the above arguement can easily be applied in a retrogressive manner, to reason that humans a century ago were sharper in their thought process than today.

However you soon realise that concentrating on issue alone is worthless without an array of information to support and give a rational unbiased view to it. Thus although the cavemen had less distractions and could regurgitate an issue sharper than us, his lack of reasoning derived from information would still make him inferior to the distracted humans of today. Infact the incoherent nature of this post is a perfect testimony to the fact that my mind is soon losing its battle to congeal, effectively, a fluid thought into something solid...and so I move to my other window with a YouTube video!

5 comments:

totti said...

Multitasking makes you more productive ? i always thought it was the other way. Here is some more on it

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/01/27/2221228&from=rss

DiVa said...

I agree. Technology distracts. I used to be able to read 3 books day at some point. I now have 8 books with me that are in various stages of being read. I cant read for more than an 40 minutes at stretch any longer.

Point 5 said...

@Totti...Good article...regarding Multi-tasking, it can be a productive tool if applied properly...pls send me ur Freakonomics book..its expensive

@Diva..3 books in a day!! You must have been a voracious reader..I am happy if I can go through more than 100 pages in a sitting now..it sucks, there are so many exciting things to read...but my mind seems to be in a decadent state now..

wagla_aka_batman said...

I remember the time I used to know all my friend's and relative's phone numbers and could blurt them out in a sec. Now with them being stored in cell phones, one has to look them up. Just another example of the mind losing its keenness and ability due to the intervention of technology.

Point 5 said...

@Batman...well said! Infact a lot of times I fear that if my battery dies, I dont even remember my friends number..so I can't even call them from a local phone...we are definitely getting trained to retain less and less