Sunday, January 01, 2006

Holiday Workers

It's festive time and everyone seems to be enjoying an extended break from work with friends and relatives. Some are having a quite dinner with near and dear ones, while some are partying wild into night with absolute strangers around them. Most people have been enjoying a much cherished break from work, some haven't seen the inside of their cubicle since Dec 21st, combining their Christmas / New Year break to have one long vacation.

On the eve of New Year, I was at an AMC movie theatre to catch the latest Spielberg creation. There was a reasonable sized crowd at the Mall, enjoying the last few hours of 2005. Some were on their cellphones exchanging greetings with their relatives in other parts of the world, while some were just having a merry time with their buddies and family. It seemed like the entire world had stopped working to enjoy the end of the year festivities.

But then I glanced at the lady behind the counter who was doling out tickets to the late night shows. I also saw a lady with a trash can cleaning the mess that people from the previous show had created. There were people behind the counter at the Soda/Nacho/Pretzel store. There were security personnel manning the parking lots and regulating traffic. On my way back I could see bus drivers religiously driving their routes and picking up drunk revellers from different bars. There were cops on the street, just incase there were any accidents. I then tried putting myself in their boots and seeing the world through their eyes.

These guys had chosen to forfeit their leave just to make sure that ordinary people like us enjoy our year end antics. It's true that they probably get paid 2.5 times their regular salary to work on holidays, but is that enough to make them trade their time with their family for work. There might be some who dont have a family closeby and might prefer to work for some extra dough, but I am sure a lot of them selflessly sacrifice their holidays to serve people like you and me.

As I reflected on some of these invisible hands which kept up the merry spirit, my memory jogged back to various such festive occassions. I could remember travelling in a bus on Diwali day, when the conductors and bus-drivers go about their business as usual. The same could be said about the ticket vendor at the railway station, the waitress at the restaurant, the doctor at the hospital and the fire-man who put off the fire from fire crackers.

The Holiday workers are the unsung heroes, quintessential to any successful holiday of ours. I wonder how many people realise that and show their appreciation towards them. So the next time you are having a grand meal on a Diwali / X-mas, show your gratitude and tip them generously with your words and wallet.

10 comments:

Casablanca said...

OMG! I had the exactly some feeling on christmas eve, when my maid asked me where I was going to party. Then I realised she wouldnt celebrate much... and I tipped her well. But then, money aint much compensation for their time, is it :(

M (tread softly upon) said...

agree with casa that money cannot compensate for the little sacrifices that people make. I know I always complain when I have to work on public holidays, when the rest of the world is out partying and having fun. And nobody spares me a thought and what I am doing to make my living....Looks like someone just did :)) Nice one.

Anarkist said...

I think a smile would be more appropriate than a tip. A tip is a bit too much.
m: What do you do for a living?

Rohan Kumar said...

I have thought on the mentioned issue on more than one occasion and ttally agree with you abt it.

P.S. How is Munich?

Point 5 said...

@Casa...Yup, Money can't buy everything

@M...I am sure a lot of people would know about this, it's just that we dont openly acknowledge it and appreciate the sacrifice of our fellow beings...

@Anarkist...Smile and a few kind words would surely be enough...

@Rohan..I like Munich...its a little long (2 hrs 44 mins) though...but Spielberg directs it splendidly....they could have described some stuff in more detail and left out some others...but overall a nice movie...do watch it...Also c Syriana ...

totti said...

well thought of.i try not to ask them how their new years was. in case, i evoke some unwanted feelings.they probably wouldnt want to be reminded of that.

Susu said...

doode... they get payed almost double that day... I incidentally asked someone on one such ocasions and got to know about it...

Well... they might have a better celebration the next day with that muny....

nice try said...

are there stats on how many of these folks working on "holidays" belong to a are non-christian religious inclination

That Girl said...

hiya, first time here through M's blog...its so true... they keep working inspite of whats happening...sometimes i wonder what a holiday means to them...
where i work right now... we dont get ANY days off!!! can you imagine!! well its the kid of work i do i guess... but... i do sympathise with them...

nice blog btw! :D

Point 5 said...

@Nice Try...I am sure why u r referring to religion....a holiday is a holiday, doesnt matter whats the reason for it..

@Grafxgurl...U dont get any days off !!!...u must be really enjoying what u do cause its difficult to work non-stop at any regular job