Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Vicarious

* On my way to work today, I saw around 5 choppers hovering in the air about a quarter mile away from my office. Such sightings are often exciting, because you can be sure there is something significant happening out there and it definitely demands a media coverage. As I ran into my cubicle and checked the online print, I found that a bunch of farmers were being evicted from a farm. But the reason why it was making news was because a lot of celebrities had joined their protest against eviction - notably, Daryl Hanah was actually perched on a tree and refused to come down!!

* Another such incident happened about 2 months ago, when, on my way back home from work I saw a very familiar sighting of 5 helicopters flying close to where I was driving. I turned on the TV as soon as I reached home, only to see the local news providing live footage of the scene. Apparently, somebody had stolen a SUV from Beverly hills and had led police on a half hour car chase through the city which finally came to halt after a collision near South Central LA. The driver, however, was still involved in a stand-off with the cop, which was happily being broadcast even on CNN......and I sat rivetted at my TV for next half hour.

As I look back, in both the occassions, something unfortunate was happening to people involved. But, they surely did arouse my curiosity and excitement. Infact I was even proud to narrate these incidents to some of my friends later cos I almost witnessed them live. It surprises me how someone's misfortune could actually lighten up our rather uneventful day and give a great topic of conversation. Probably the key thing about these incidents is not the misfortune of others, but deviation from normal day-day life which makes them a point of interest. Which makes me wonder sometimes whether Humans by nature are designed to participate in such vicariousness?

Would there be any news at all in the world, if there was peace everywhere or If there was no poverty and no crime. What would the media cover if Brad Pitt didn't divorce Jenifer or If US didn't bomb and kill Al-Zarqawi (and a woman and a kid in the same facility). Katrina ravaged and battered the gulf coast. I am not that cruel to claim that this excited people, but it sure did invoke their curiosity. Now was this curiosity due to their concern for the people in the direct line of action or was it just to fathom the extent of nature's wrath, we would never know. In the build up this hurricane, I know a lot of people who would track these hurricanes hourly, and would find it a great talking point if the hurricane increased its speed by 5 mph, or should I say feel a sense of betrayal if the hurricane speed subsided cause the event is no more exciting !

The title to this post has been inspired by one of my all time favourite band Tool. They talk about this feeling in their new song Vicarious (lyrics are here - read it, it's a post in itself). The lyrics totally unsettled me, and I find very hard to agree with it, although I have a faint feeling that it is actually true for a lot of people. If you are interested, an amateur video of the same song can be found here.

8 comments:

Anarkist said...

RATM's 'Bullet in the Head' is also about television. They call watching TV "mass mind rape" which I find really fitting. Do check out the lyrics and the song itself. Also watch the video of Pearl Jam's "Do the evolution", which shows that violence has been essential to human evolution, including violence on TV, towards which we have become increasing desensitized and we need more to keep us entertained.

Jinguchakka said...

"Dog bites Man" is no news. "Man bites dog" IS news.
In China, even that is no news!

Rohan Kumar said...

I guess its to do with what media keeps feeding in to us. The American media feeds trash day in day out to ppl with nothing better to do. The weather forecast which millions of ppl tune in and watch intently is just the smallest of examples forget ohter more irrelevant stories they carry. To repeat what I said on my blog a while back 'If you shit around long enough someone sometime will come along to pick it up' :)

PLD said...

unsettling lyrics indeed. and nice point raised.

Point 5 said...

@Anarkist...I have seen Pearl Jam's video...its great. Even the RATM lyrics r great

@JC...I guess u are mixing CHina with Korea...

@Rohan Kumar..Don't single out American Media...I don't think Indian media is much better...I like ur statement on shit...

@Di...Dey change ur name to PLD...initially I thought some girl had left a comment :)..yup the lyrics are unsettling...but the song is awesome

Casablanca said...

The age old question of demand and supply... do we watch such news because that is all the media feeds us, or does the media do so because we have an appetite for it?

totti said...

Doob mar :)

Point 5 said...

@Casa...I guess its a vicious circle

@Totti..sorry dude, I know swimming